Pic credit: Flickr
Mould is often found indoors in damp, dark and hidden spaces and in places with a lot of moisture. In homes where there has been flooding or which have leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, it can grow as fast as the first 24-48 hours.
Mould can gradually destroy the things they grow on in your home
Mould reproduces via tiny spores that are invisible to the naked eye. They float through outdoor and indoor air. Mould grows indoors when the spores land on surfaces that are wet. Mould can have harmful effects on your property by gradually damaging building materials, your furnishings and may even cause structural damage. Walls, floors, appliances, carpet and furniture can easily get affected if not attended to properly.
Moulds have the potential to cause health problems
Mould can pose a serious health risk to the home occupants. Inhaling mould can cause allergic reactions and irritation in sensitive individuals. Allergic reactions are more common and can be immediate or delayed. They include sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Mould exposure can also cause asthma attacks in people who are allergic to mould. Others who may be more sensitive to the effects of mould include children, elderly persons, people whose immune systems are compromised due to an illness or disease and people with chronic lung disease.
Controlling or get rid of mould
The key to mould control is by controlling the moisture in your home.
If there has been some water damage in your home, fix the water problem immediately and clean up the mould. Make sure to dry the affected areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mould growth.
While cleaning areas affected by mould, always wear non-porous gloves and protective eyewear.
Control humidity levels by using dehumidifiers and air conditioners, especially in hot, humid climates, to reduce moisture in the air. Keep the drip pans clean.
All shower, laundry, and cooking areas should be well ventilated. The vents of moisture-generating appliances, such as dryers, should be directed to the outside of your home.
Provide adequate drainage around buildings and slope the ground away from the building foundation. Make sure drain lines are free of obstructions and flow properly.
Who should do the mould cleanup?
If the mouldy area is relatively very small in size, in most cases you could handle the job yourself following strict guidelines. DIY mould removal methods may also prove effective only when you find the mould growth at its initial stage and manage to prevent it from growing and spreading further.
However, if there has been a lot of water damage, and the mould growth covers a wide area, it is best to get professional help. Choose a professional mould cleaning service provider with experience to do the cleanup.
Biosite Cleanup has experienced technicians and uses professional equipment to completely remove mould and mildew. We provide will be quick and efficient mould remediation services in Goulburn, Canberra, Batemans Bay and surrounding areas of NSW. Call 0409037634 or visit us to know more about our services.