Let’s face it, all of us, at some point or the other in life, have thought of ending our life to stop all the pain and suffering we were enduring. Feeling suicidal is not a character fact. It only means that you cannot deal with the pain you are experiencing right now! Although the pain seems overwhelming and permanent right now, with time and support everything can be solved. Nothing is permanent.
Regardless of all the pain that you are enduring right now, there are people who need you, places where you can make a difference and experiences in life which will make you feel life is worth living. The suicidal state when we’ve felt overwhelmed by depression and devoid of all hope, can be completely treated and a hope to carry on in life can be renewed.
Why do we feel suicidal anyway? Although we feel like suicide is the only way out the depressing situation, it is not. Our mind is so occupied with all the negative thoughts that we often miss the solution to our problems. The intense emotional pain distorts the thinking capability making it difficult for us to analyse the situation properly. And, a suicidal crisis is temporary every single time.
If you feel suicidal, here are some immediate actions you should take:
- Promise yourself that you will not do anything to yourself right now. Whatever it is that is causing your pain, it’s not worth taking your life over.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol as these substances have a tendency of making suicidal thoughts even stronger.
- Get rid of all the things that can bring harm to you. Make your home safer for you to be in.
- The first step in coping with suicidal feeling is sharing them with someone you can trust. Talking about it helps in getting over the feeling. Just talking about it can relieve a lot of pressure off and make you feel much, much better.
- Even people who have been through worse have managed to fight this feeling. So hang in there. Don’t give up so soon. Don’t let the evil win over you. You’re stronger than that.
Reach out for help. There are many people out there who have 24×7 helplines available to help people to cope up with suicidal thoughts. The names and conversations are kept strictly confidential. Talking about your problem often helps in coming out of the situation. So much so that the suicidal feeling can be completely eradicated. Don’t give up! Your life is too precious. If you have suicidal feelings, get help for yourself. Finding a support group or a therapist can be a very helpful in decreasing the chances that you will feel suicidal again in the future.