Mould is something that grows and spreads quickly and quietly without you even being aware of it. It accumulates in areas that have high levels of moisture or dampness and poor ventilation. Mould is a problem that goes unnoticed most times until it becomes serious. Hence, to prevent it, in the very beginning, it is important to take care of a few things to ensure your home doesn’t welcome the mould problem.
Below are ways to avoid mould from becoming a part of your home.
- Fix leaky pipes and groundwater seepage to prevent dampness in basements.
- Make use of a dehumidifier in places that have high moisture. Maintain the humidity levels between 30-60 percent. Ensure that collection bucket and condensation coils are cleaned timely.
- Invest in an air conditioner with a High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter attachment. This will help in trapping all the external mold spores, in turn, preventing them from circulating inside your home.
- Ensure regular change of filters on your air conditioners and furnace. Inspect air heating ducts and have them cleaned as and when required.
- Good ventilation is important to prevent dampness in bathrooms. Hence, ensure you turn on the ventilation fan soon after you’re finished with a bath to get rid of the moisture. Another alternative would be opening the window while using the bathroom.
- Do no use carpets in bathrooms, basements and other moisture prone areas.
- Direct groundwater drainage away from your home.
- Ensure regular cleaning of roof gutters. Check for any damages and have them fixed immediately.
- Keep plant containers clean and dry to keep mould off your plants.
- Get rid of materials like old books and newspapers from areas that have poor ventilation like the basement to avoid mould growth.
If you’ve just detected mould in your home and need a specialist to eliminate it at its source, contact Biosite Cleaup. We provide mould inspection and mould remediation services in Goulburn, Canberra, Batemans Bay and other areas of NSW. Set your home free from mould by contacting us on 0409037634 today.